Fur Jacket & Coat Buying Guide
8:41 pm on Tuesday, May 6th, 2014
With a wide selection of styles, furs and colors available selecting a fur coat or jacket can seem daunting at times. There is no need to stress however as our selection of fur coats and jackets is sure to have something suited to everyone’s unique style. Available in a wide variety of fur types, styles, features and prices the choice might seem overwhelming at first but once you have read our step by step process in selecting the right jacket or coat you will be insured that you are receiving a piece that you will love for years to come.
Step 1: Selecting a Type of Fur
- When selecting the right style of coat the first thing you want to look at is the type of fur
- Mink fur is one of the most popular furs available and is described as luxurious, plush and lightweight. Mink fur is versatile and can be found in both elegant and casual pieces alike. This type of fur will also last you for many years to come as it is one of the more durable furs.
- Fox fur is considered to be one of the most popular options available when looking at purchasing jackets and coats. Genuine fox fur is long, soft and lustrous so it is no surprise that is one of the more stunning options out there. Fox fur is lightweight, plush and warm making in the ideal choice for any winter wardrobe. Available in a wide range of prices and colors you will be sure to find one that matches your unique style if you decide to go with fox fur
- Rabbit fur is also considered to be a popular fur as it is lightweight, soft, versatile, and affordable. Rabbit fur can be easily dyed, sheared or knitted allowing for a variety of styles to be created. Rabbit fur can be sculpted to create a unique look that resembles a more expensive fur such as chinchilla.
- Raccoon fur is another option available and is sure to keep you warm during the coldest of days. Raccoon fur is soft and fluffy and with a unique color scheme it is sure to stand out in the crowd. Similar to mink fur, raccoon fur is also quite durable when it is cared for properly
- Jackets and coats are also available with beaver, chinchilla and lamb trimming if you are looking for something simple but with an accented collar or cuff
Step 2: Selecting A Style
- After you have chosen a type of fur the next step in your decision process is to select a style of jacket or coat
- When deciding on the style of jacket one of things to consider is where you are planning on wearing the jacket. As some coats are best suited for special occasions while some are more suited for everyday, casual wear. Some jackets are versatile allowing for it to be dressed up or down depending on the situation. So if your looking for a piece that will get the most wear out of it keep an eye those versatile pieces
- The next step is to decide if you would like to have a more basic style jacket or one with an accented trimmed collar and cuff. Different types of furs have different accents and trims so when deciding on a fur keep a look out for which style of jacket you like for an easier correlation
- Equally important is the length of a particular jacket or coat. There are three common lengths of fur jackets that could play a role in deciding which jacket is perfect for you. If you live in a colder climate than a full length or one the rests above the knees will provide the most warmth. If you live in a cooler climate or is someone who prefers a shorter coat than one that rests just above the waist would be the best choice
- A popular alternative to a fur jacket or coat is a fur vest if your looking for a different look this season but still want to include fur
Step 3: Selecting A Size
- Once you have selected the type of fur and the style, selecting the size is the next step
- Wearing the correct size jacket will ensure that you will love your jacket for years to come
- When selecting a men’s fur jacket refer to the following guide for correct sizing:
- When selecting a women’s fur jacket refer to the following guide for correct sizing:
- When selecting a women’s fur jacket it is equally important to measure your hips, bust and waist in order to determine correct sizing.
Step 4: Selecting a Color
- Now that you have selected the type of fur along with the style and size the next decision needed to be made is the color of the jacket or coat.
- Depending on the style you have chosen there may only be one color available which would eliminate this step, however there is a wide selection of coats available that come in various colors
- Classic colors such as black and white are always popular choices that will give you give you an classic and elegant look when wearing the piece
- Various shades of brown are also available in a variety of jackets if you are looking for something different than basics but still are wanting a traditional look