2:34 pm on Thursday, March 26th, 2015
Real fur can be expensive but is a great investment, as it can last for many years. Since it is a good investment, it makes sense to get some advice on how to purchase furs. A great place to get some initial buying advice is to speak with a professional furrier as they are experts on fur. Also, there are lots of other great buying tips that we will list here:
- Feel the fur very carefully, as there should be dense, soft underfur that is evident to the touch, under the glossy guard hair. This glossy guard hair should be very soft, never bristly.
- Make sure to try the garment on to ensure that the weight is comfortable for you. However, furs made these days are quite light.
- Look for furs that are not dyed, not that the dye harms the fur, but rather it affects the texture of the fur.
- When you are trying on your fur, ensure its balanced and falls evenly and comfortably from your shoulders.
- Check the tag to see the origin of the fur. A quality fur coat will list where it originated from. The highest quality furs often come from Europe or North America, but you can also get some quality furs from China.
- The seams should be sewn tightly and the hems should fall straight down.
So when buying your fur, feel free to ask questions and use some of the above tips to help you make your next purchase. Invest not just your money but also your time to help make your next fur purchase a great lasting investment.
2:30 pm on Thursday, March 19th, 2015
- Why is a fur coat so expensive? Answer: The price is due to the many hours of skilled work that must be done to create a fur coat. The first step is the effort of the fur farmer or trapper. Then the fur goes to an auction, where the fur is sold. Then there is the fur processing, after this is the sewing and finishing stages.
- Do fur farmers and trappers get a fair price for their products? Answer: The quick answer is yes they do. The main auction companies are owned by the fur producers. The trappers and farmers receive the full value of their furs, with just a small commission taken off to cover the costs of running the auction.
- How long does it take to make a fur coat? Answer: It takes anyway from 40 – 100 hours of detailed craftsmanship to create one fur coat.
- Are fashion designers using real fur in their new collections? Answer: They are using fur more than ever as evidenced in recent fashion shows. There were over 500 top designers using fur in their collections, in fashion shows in New York, Paris, London and Milan.
- What can I do with my old fur coat? Answer: If your old fur coat seems out of date, it can be re-styled to a new fashionable look. Old fur coats can even be transformed into other fur products such as; fur vests, pillows and other garments as well.
We hope some of these fur facts help you to know about the fur industry and how fur is becoming very trendy among top fashion designers.
5:33 pm on Thursday, March 12th, 2015
The fur industry has changed dramatically over the years, and there are now many reasons to feel good about wearing your fur coat. The industry has setup standards governing the welfare and treatment of animals. This post will explore some reasons for feeling good about wearing your fur.
- One of the biggest fur industry changes is the Origin Assured program. This program ensures your fur is ethically sourced and comes from a country where there are regulations governing fur production. The industry is committed to sustainable and responsible practices. Read more here: Origin Assured program
- Vintage or re-purposed fur is an emerging trend, where old furs are being transformed into other garments. Vintage stores often have lots of the old fur coats that can be used to create modern new designs. A professional furrier can take an old mink coat and create a slimmer jacket or a vest, mittens, earmuffs or even a hat.
- Roadkill fur is an emerging trend, where the road kill animal’s hide is being used to create garments. Every year millions of animals get killed by vehicles, so this is a way to make use of this resource.
- Nutria are considered an invasive species that was harming the environment by eating up the wetlands in coastal Louisiana and contributing to land loss. In the 1990s, Louisiana created a incentive program to kill the nutria. The wetlands have since improved, but there are thousands of dead nutria carcasses every year. Hence, nutria fur was created and is an ethical choice as it makes use of the already dead nutria and this is actually helping the environment.
As the fall/winter 2015 fashion shows have shown, fur is becoming very popular and stylish. Real fur fashion is increasing, and now you have some good reasons to feel good about wearing your fur.
4:54 pm on Thursday, March 5th, 2015
A furrier is an occupation that is crucial to the fur trade. Many people have heard of the term, furrier, but may not know what it really means or what is involved in this occupation. We will provide some of the key aspects of what a furrier is and what they do.
- A furrier is someone who designs, creates, maintains, and repairs fur garments. This term is closely related to the term clothier, which is used to describe people who work with textiles to create garments. Furriers are found in cities all over the world, especially in northern cities where the fur trade is very active.
- Furriers can work in the design aspect of the fur industry. They will explore new construction techniques for fur garments and create custom fur designs for individual customers.
- They also provide services like; altering new garments, such as a fur coat, to properly fit new owners, as well they can clean and repair existing garments.
- Furs and in particular a fur coat, can be very expensive and can vary in quality, so it can be very wise to have an experienced furrier work with inexperienced customers to help them with their fur purchase.
- Furriers can keep your fur coat looking good for many years due to their specialized cleaning. They not only clean your coat but help to restore the natural fur luster. This special cleaning process will add years of life to your fur as it keeps the fur soft, and conditions the leather. It also removes the dust particles from your fur that rob it of its sheen.
Furriers are a very valuable part of the fur industry and crucial to keeping your furs in top condition. So be sure to bring your fur to a furrier to protect your investment and keep your fur in top condition.
4:41 pm on Thursday, February 26th, 2015
Fur is an amazing fiber that has been keeping people warm and fashionable for hundreds of years. There are many different types of furs that are used to make the various garments. We will review some of the more popular types.
- Mink is the most popular fur that is sold worldwide. Mink is luxuriously soft, lightweight, and extremely durable and will give you many years of wear. Mink coats are the fur coat for many women and growing numbers of men, due its quality and fashion.
- Rabbit is very popular and is very soft, beautiful and comes with an affordable price.
- Fox is also extremely popular as it has long, lustrous guard hairs and is wonderfully fluffy. Fox fur is ideal for fur trim on collars, cuffs, wraps and headbands.
- Raccoon is soft, dense and fluffy and is ideal for fur collars and trim. Raccoon is very durable and will last decades with proper care.
- Beaver fur offers amazing warmth and durability. Beaver is a course, shiny fur that is soft and thick. It can take around nine beavers to create one coat.
- Coyote is beautiful, dense and durable and is popular for fur trim on collars and cuffs. It can vary in color from grey to tan and is often more affordable than other furs.
- Muskrat fur is very versatile and can be dyed to look like mink. Its very durable, with the proper care, and the most durable muskrat come from the eastern United States.
Real fur is nature’s answer to winter’s cold, due to its superior heat retention ability and durability.
4:14 pm on Thursday, February 19th, 2015
Life happens and you never know when your fur clothing is going to get dirty or stained. There are some tips that you can use to keep your garments looking good even after an encounter with some dirt or stains. It is too expensive to send off your real fur to get professionally cleaned every time your garment gets a little dirty, so here are some simple care tips.
- The first basic tip is to act fast so the stain does not set, which would make it much harder to clean. This fast action also allows you to get the stain out much easier.
- Blotting is typically much better for stain removal because it helps to prevent the stain from spreading. Rubbing the fur can cause the stain to spread, which creates a much bigger stain.
- Another fast technique is to shake your fur item briskly to remove the salt or dirt.
- If your fur gets wet in the rain, its not an issue, just shake out the excess moisture and let it dry at normal room temperature. Be sure to hang your coat on a plastic hanger and not in a garment bag to ensure proper air circulation. If the fur was completely soaked, you should take it to a fur professional.
- To avoid coat damage by rubbing or breaking your fur at the shoulder, avoid carrying purses or parcels with shoulder straps.
- One final tip is to have your fur cleaned and conditioned by a professional fur cleaner once a year to keep it looking great for years to come.
When your fur is well cared for, it will last a long time and will give you many years of winter warmth and enjoyment.
11:32 pm on Wednesday, February 11th, 2015
Fur auctions are where most North American pelts will begin their journey to the consumer. This step brings the raw fur product into the processing component of this journey. These public auctions are the main method of selling the raw fur pelts to North American and International buyers. We will go over some of the key aspects of what these fur auctions are all about:
- There are three main auction facilities in North America. They are; American Legend Cooperative, Fur Harvesters Auction Inc. and the North American Fur Auction.
- Fur pelts are sorted by experienced graders into selected bundles according to similar type, size and quality. This is done so that the fur buyers can inspect the pelts before the selling process begins.
- These North American auctions attract designers, manufacturers and brokers from around the world due to the incredible quality of these pelts.
- These auctions allow for trappers and farmers to be paid a full market value for their fur pelts, which means this is a true fair trade industry. The trappers and farmers deliver their furs to the auction on a consignment basis. When the sales are finished, the auction house will deduct a small commission to cover their costs, and give the rest to the trappers and farmers.
- Once these pelts are purchased from the auction houses, they are sent off for processing. This processing step is necessary before fur can used to make apparel or accessories.
These auctions are a crucial and valuable step that takes place which strongly benefits the trappers and farmers. This creates a valuable fair trade industry and benefits the economy for everybody.
4:04 pm on Thursday, February 5th, 2015
- Ushanka hats are a traditional Russian winter hat that is stylish and has ear flaps. The word ushanka is a Russian word that literally means ear hat. These hats are often made with expensive sheepskin and are designed for cold weather protection. The ushanka has inspired other hat styles such as; Trapper, Bomber and Aviator hats.
- Trapper hats are another style that are similar to ushanka hats. They have ear flaps and are well suited to the cold. They are considered a hybrid between the ushanka and aviator hat. These hats combine the style of the aviator hat with the beautiful fur of the ushanka hat.
- Another popular style is the aviator hat, also called bomber hat. These hats were inspired by pilots in the era of open cockpits, as the pilots needed to keep their head and ears warm. They often have a leather dome style top, which makes for a very fashionable hat.
- Coonskin caps or Davy Crockett style hats are very unique hats which are very warm and fashionable. These hats are made from a variety of furs and have a very distinctive fur tail.
Whether you want to look fashionable or keep warm on a cold winter’s day, these fur hats can be the answer. They are the perfect combination of practical function and fashion that will make those cold days more tolerable
4:16 pm on Thursday, January 29th, 2015
Real fur has tremendous benefits and looks amazing at the same time. Global fur sales are increasing and attitudes are relaxing as people realize the solid benefits of real fur. There are a few reasons as to why people are beginning to have more positive attitudes towards the fur trade. We will list some of these reasons and how they have changed people’s perceptions about this industry.
- The very cold winter of 2013 fueled increased sales of fur garments, as people sought the warmth that comes from real fur. When it comes to cold protection, its hard to beat the heat retention abilities of fur.
- Fur fashion has become much more appealing in recent years. There were nearly 500 clothing designers using fur for their fall 2014 collections. Fur fashions can now be found in end department stores, designer boutiques and specialty retailers.
- One very large triumph for animal welfare and the fur trade was the creation of the Origin Assured (OA) program. This program was launched in November 2007 at a conference in Moscow. This might be the most important initiative ever to emerge for the fur trade. This program assures that the fur in a garment originates from a country where there are regulations in place governing fur production and animal welfare.
This program is monitored by an independent monitoring firm called Cotecna that ensures the integrity of this program. Fur that bears the OA™ mark gives consumers the confidence that the garment they just bought comes from a country that has regulations in place governing this industry.
So there you have some solid reasons as to why attitudes are becoming much more positive towards this industry. Stay warm and enjoy your highly fashionable fur.
3:17 pm on Thursday, January 22nd, 2015
According to a recent study, the global fur trade is valued at over $40 billion which is roughly the size of the global WiFi industry. This shows how strong the global economic impact is from this growing industry. This industry is not only growing but also is becoming an economic powerhouse to many economies around the world.
This study is the first one to look at the whole fur industry. It looks beyond just the retail stores and includes designer boutiques, sporting goods stores and also looks at the value of fur farming and production. Here are some highlights of this study, that was commissioned by the International Fur Federation and conducted in 2012/13:
- Global retail sales were $35.8 Billion and fur farming is valued at $7.8 Billion.
- Total employment in this sector is over one million worldwide.
- In countries such as; Greece, Russia, China and Denmark, fur is a huge contributor to their national economy and employs thousands of people.
- Fur was appearing in over 70% of the fall 2014 designer collections with significant growth in the home accessory category.
- According to the Fur Information Council of America and the Fur Council of Canada, the 2013 North American fur sales were $1.7 Billion, which is 10 per cent higher than 2012.
This study clearly demonstrates how important this industry is to the global economy and how it is poised for continued growth for years to come.