1:17 pm on Thursday, April 30th, 2015
Real fur has appeared in many famous Hollywood movies with equally famous leading ladies wearing the breathtaking garments. Some of the most famous names in Hollywood over the years have worn fur in their movies. We have put together a list of some famous movies and their equally iconic leading ladies who wore fur.
- Marilyn Monroe wore lots of fur in the famous 1953 movie called; Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. She wore a white mink coat and also wore a platina fox stole.
- Jennifer Lawrence wore lots of fur in the 2013 movie called American Hustle. There was a beaver coat with silver mist fox trim. The movie also featured a feathered badger coat.
- Keira Knighley wore lots of fur in the 2012 movie called; Anna Karenina. She wore fur hats and a beautiful crystal fox trimmed coat.
- Kim Cattral and Sarah Jessica Parker wore lots of fur in their 2008 movie, Sex and The City. Kim Cattral wore a stunning white mink coat while Sarah Jessica Parker was wearing a beautiful Dyed Chinchilla Rex Rabbit wrap.
- Gwyneth Paltrow starred in the 2001 movie called; The Royal Tenenbaums. She wore a luxurious Fendi Mink Golden fur coat designed by the famous fashion designers Fendi.
- Barbra Streisand starred in the 1968 movie called; Funny Girl. She was wearing a stunning leopard coat and hat for this movie, in which she won an academy award for best actress.
For decades fur has been on display on the silver screen and giving actresses that beautiful and luxurious look.
8:07 pm on Thursday, April 23rd, 2015
Fur is appearing all over the world in the various fur fashion shows. More and more top fashion designers are using real fur in their collections, so we will provide some information about these designers.
- One of the most famous fur fashion designers is Karl Lagerfeld. He is a Paris based fashion designer, artist and photographer. He is the creative director of Chanel and Fendi as well he has his own Karl Lagefeld collection.
- Prabal Gurung is a Singaporean born fashion designer who is based in New York. He launched his own collection in February 2009 during New York fashion week. For his Fall 2015 collection he had lots of layers, long coats and knitwear with lots of fur.
- Canadian fashion designer George Musi and his brothers founded Musi Furs, which creates dazzling and luxury furs that have earned recognition worldwide. Musi furs was founded in 1994 and has a vision for fur that is not only practical but also as a medium for artistic expression.
- Rolando Santana is a Mexican born fashion designer who uses fur in his collections. He started his own collection in 2009, with his primary focus of making women feel beautiful.
- Dennis Basso is an American fur fashion designer based in New York. He is known for using bold colors and patterns in his fur collections.
There are over 400 well known fashion designers using fur in their ready to wear collections. Also, fur is now being used more and more all year long, so enjoy the high fashion and practical function that can only come from fur.
3:02 pm on Thursday, April 16th, 2015
Fur fashion has been on the rise lately, with fur playing a large role in many fashion shows around the world. Fashion designers are using fur extensively for their fall 2015 and winter 2016 collections. We will explore some of the fur fashion trends from around the world for 2015.
- New York Fashion Show Week – There was fur everywhere as it was covering coats and hats. The designers were using colors such as chocolate, black, charcoal, and tan. Designers such as Zac Posen paired fur hats with evening wear. Fur was also on trimmed sleeves and hemlines of skirts and dresses. There were handbags trimmed in fur of all varieties.
- Fashion designer Prabal Gurung’s New York fashion show – There was lots of fur in this show on a wide variety of items. He had lots of layers and long coats with more than a hint of fur. His heavy duffle coats were made with wool and cashmere and often came trimmed with bright white fur.
- 2014 saw fur used in 60% of British fashion shows and at the New York fashion week a full 70% of garments featured fur. Newer designers are also increasingly using real fur in their collections.
- Celebrities, such as; Rihana, Lady Gaga and Kim Kardashian are embracing fur more than ever.
- Eastern Europe’s biggest fashion event, which is the Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week in Russia featured lots of fur. The big trend right now is colored fur. Colored fur is increasingly being used in many collections and this show saw fur coats with bright and colorful fur.
Fur is being used more and more around the world with various fashion designers, so go ahead and enjoy the trendy and sophisticated look that comes from fur.
2:52 pm on Thursday, April 9th, 2015
Fur coats are delicate and expensive items to replace, so its important to store them correctly. These coats are a large investment, so it makes sense to store them properly to protect your investment and have your coat lasting for many years. Here are some tips to help you prolong the life of your fur coat.
- Keep your fur in a place that is cool, dry and dark. A closet with indirect heat would be best, but if it does have a heat vent, close it, as the heat will dry out the fur causing damage.
- Let your fur coat breathe to prevent the fur from drying out and cracking. Do not store your coat in a garment bag as they do not let your coat breathe.
- To avoid damaging your fur you may need to store your fur coat at a professional storage facility.
- Be sure to keep your fur coat dry, but if its damp, just shake it out and hang to dry. However, if it gets soaked you will need to take it to a professional for treatment.
- Its a good idea to insure your fur on your home owner’s policy to prevent heartache if your fur coat is stolen. Furriers often offer insurance coverage while your coat is with them and may offer further coverage for a fee.
- Hang your fur coat on a broad shouldered or padded hanger and do not use a wire hanger. Also, you could ask your furrier for a professional hanger.
Fur coats are a precious investment, but if you care for them properly they will give you decades of enjoyable use and relief from the cold.
3:22 pm on Wednesday, April 1st, 2015
Fur is famous for being worn in the colder months, but that trend is changing. Designers are creating fur trims and other items for their spring and summer collections, so you can make a statement all year long. We have put together some tips to help you with your fashion choices all year long.
- Keep your layering fur pieces as the days will warm up but the nights are still cool. Some good pieces to keep in your spring collection would be; scarves, stoles and lightweight vests. You can even add a fur tail to your handbag for a touch of luxury.
- Shawls are the perfect fur accessory for spring, since they are used more for looking fashionable than keeping warm. When you need just a little something to keep you warm, wear your shawl as it looks beautiful and provides some warmth for a spring day.
- Fur stoles are a beautiful way to add an elegant look to your outfit when you are going to upscale events. Stoles are smaller than shawls and lightweight, so they are perfect for a spring evening.
- Fur vests are ideal for spring, as they are lightweight and leave your arms exposed, so you will not feel too warm. They are beautiful and comfortable, and can be worn with almost anything you wear during cool spring days.
- Fur collars can add a touch of elegance to your wardrobe and have you look amazing for those spring evening events. Fur collars are stylish and also add beauty, plus a touch of warmth for those cooler spring evenings.
Now you have some ideas on how you can enjoy the luxurious look and feel of fur throughout the entire year.
2:34 pm on Thursday, March 26th, 2015
Real fur can be expensive but is a great investment, as it can last for many years. Since it is a good investment, it makes sense to get some advice on how to purchase furs. A great place to get some initial buying advice is to speak with a professional furrier as they are experts on fur. Also, there are lots of other great buying tips that we will list here:
- Feel the fur very carefully, as there should be dense, soft underfur that is evident to the touch, under the glossy guard hair. This glossy guard hair should be very soft, never bristly.
- Make sure to try the garment on to ensure that the weight is comfortable for you. However, furs made these days are quite light.
- Look for furs that are not dyed, not that the dye harms the fur, but rather it affects the texture of the fur.
- When you are trying on your fur, ensure its balanced and falls evenly and comfortably from your shoulders.
- Check the tag to see the origin of the fur. A quality fur coat will list where it originated from. The highest quality furs often come from Europe or North America, but you can also get some quality furs from China.
- The seams should be sewn tightly and the hems should fall straight down.
So when buying your fur, feel free to ask questions and use some of the above tips to help you make your next purchase. Invest not just your money but also your time to help make your next fur purchase a great lasting investment.
2:30 pm on Thursday, March 19th, 2015
- Why is a fur coat so expensive? Answer: The price is due to the many hours of skilled work that must be done to create a fur coat. The first step is the effort of the fur farmer or trapper. Then the fur goes to an auction, where the fur is sold. Then there is the fur processing, after this is the sewing and finishing stages.
- Do fur farmers and trappers get a fair price for their products? Answer: The quick answer is yes they do. The main auction companies are owned by the fur producers. The trappers and farmers receive the full value of their furs, with just a small commission taken off to cover the costs of running the auction.
- How long does it take to make a fur coat? Answer: It takes anyway from 40 – 100 hours of detailed craftsmanship to create one fur coat.
- Are fashion designers using real fur in their new collections? Answer: They are using fur more than ever as evidenced in recent fashion shows. There were over 500 top designers using fur in their collections, in fashion shows in New York, Paris, London and Milan.
- What can I do with my old fur coat? Answer: If your old fur coat seems out of date, it can be re-styled to a new fashionable look. Old fur coats can even be transformed into other fur products such as; fur vests, pillows and other garments as well.
We hope some of these fur facts help you to know about the fur industry and how fur is becoming very trendy among top fashion designers.
5:33 pm on Thursday, March 12th, 2015
The fur industry has changed dramatically over the years, and there are now many reasons to feel good about wearing your fur coat. The industry has setup standards governing the welfare and treatment of animals. This post will explore some reasons for feeling good about wearing your fur.
- One of the biggest fur industry changes is the Origin Assured program. This program ensures your fur is ethically sourced and comes from a country where there are regulations governing fur production. The industry is committed to sustainable and responsible practices. Read more here: Origin Assured program
- Vintage or re-purposed fur is an emerging trend, where old furs are being transformed into other garments. Vintage stores often have lots of the old fur coats that can be used to create modern new designs. A professional furrier can take an old mink coat and create a slimmer jacket or a vest, mittens, earmuffs or even a hat.
- Roadkill fur is an emerging trend, where the road kill animal’s hide is being used to create garments. Every year millions of animals get killed by vehicles, so this is a way to make use of this resource.
- Nutria are considered an invasive species that was harming the environment by eating up the wetlands in coastal Louisiana and contributing to land loss. In the 1990s, Louisiana created a incentive program to kill the nutria. The wetlands have since improved, but there are thousands of dead nutria carcasses every year. Hence, nutria fur was created and is an ethical choice as it makes use of the already dead nutria and this is actually helping the environment.
As the fall/winter 2015 fashion shows have shown, fur is becoming very popular and stylish. Real fur fashion is increasing, and now you have some good reasons to feel good about wearing your fur.
4:54 pm on Thursday, March 5th, 2015
A furrier is an occupation that is crucial to the fur trade. Many people have heard of the term, furrier, but may not know what it really means or what is involved in this occupation. We will provide some of the key aspects of what a furrier is and what they do.
- A furrier is someone who designs, creates, maintains, and repairs fur garments. This term is closely related to the term clothier, which is used to describe people who work with textiles to create garments. Furriers are found in cities all over the world, especially in northern cities where the fur trade is very active.
- Furriers can work in the design aspect of the fur industry. They will explore new construction techniques for fur garments and create custom fur designs for individual customers.
- They also provide services like; altering new garments, such as a fur coat, to properly fit new owners, as well they can clean and repair existing garments.
- Furs and in particular a fur coat, can be very expensive and can vary in quality, so it can be very wise to have an experienced furrier work with inexperienced customers to help them with their fur purchase.
- Furriers can keep your fur coat looking good for many years due to their specialized cleaning. They not only clean your coat but help to restore the natural fur luster. This special cleaning process will add years of life to your fur as it keeps the fur soft, and conditions the leather. It also removes the dust particles from your fur that rob it of its sheen.
Furriers are a very valuable part of the fur industry and crucial to keeping your furs in top condition. So be sure to bring your fur to a furrier to protect your investment and keep your fur in top condition.
4:41 pm on Thursday, February 26th, 2015
Fur is an amazing fiber that has been keeping people warm and fashionable for hundreds of years. There are many different types of furs that are used to make the various garments. We will review some of the more popular types.
- Mink is the most popular fur that is sold worldwide. Mink is luxuriously soft, lightweight, and extremely durable and will give you many years of wear. Mink coats are the fur coat for many women and growing numbers of men, due its quality and fashion.
- Rabbit is very popular and is very soft, beautiful and comes with an affordable price.
- Fox is also extremely popular as it has long, lustrous guard hairs and is wonderfully fluffy. Fox fur is ideal for fur trim on collars, cuffs, wraps and headbands.
- Raccoon is soft, dense and fluffy and is ideal for fur collars and trim. Raccoon is very durable and will last decades with proper care.
- Beaver fur offers amazing warmth and durability. Beaver is a course, shiny fur that is soft and thick. It can take around nine beavers to create one coat.
- Coyote is beautiful, dense and durable and is popular for fur trim on collars and cuffs. It can vary in color from grey to tan and is often more affordable than other furs.
- Muskrat fur is very versatile and can be dyed to look like mink. Its very durable, with the proper care, and the most durable muskrat come from the eastern United States.
Real fur is nature’s answer to winter’s cold, due to its superior heat retention ability and durability.