3:17 pm on Thursday, January 22nd, 2015
According to a recent study, the global fur trade is valued at over $40 billion which is roughly the size of the global WiFi industry. This shows how strong the global economic impact is from this growing industry. This industry is not only growing but also is becoming an economic powerhouse to many economies around the world.
This study is the first one to look at the whole fur industry. It looks beyond just the retail stores and includes designer boutiques, sporting goods stores and also looks at the value of fur farming and production. Here are some highlights of this study, that was commissioned by the International Fur Federation and conducted in 2012/13:
- Global retail sales were $35.8 Billion and fur farming is valued at $7.8 Billion.
- Total employment in this sector is over one million worldwide.
- In countries such as; Greece, Russia, China and Denmark, fur is a huge contributor to their national economy and employs thousands of people.
- Fur was appearing in over 70% of the fall 2014 designer collections with significant growth in the home accessory category.
- According to the Fur Information Council of America and the Fur Council of Canada, the 2013 North American fur sales were $1.7 Billion, which is 10 per cent higher than 2012.
This study clearly demonstrates how important this industry is to the global economy and how it is poised for continued growth for years to come.
4:14 pm on Thursday, January 15th, 2015
Fur is a natural, renewable and sustainable resource that is more environmentally friendly than synthetic furs. Furs that come from this industry are abundant and there are no endangered animals used for these fur products. We will explore some of the reasons as to why real fur is green and a sustainable industry.
- Fur is an organic material that is biodegradable, unlike most synthetic furs that are made with petrochemicals. So fake furs, like other plastics, do not break down easily and will remain in land fills for centuries.
- Real fur is naturally resilient and long lasting. When you care for your fur garments, they will provide many years of enjoyment and functionality.
- Fur is a renewable resource in the sense that the industry uses only part of what nature produces without depleting wildlife populations. Also, the goal is to not damage the natural habitat that supports the animals. Synthetics by contrast are made from petroleum which is non-renewable.
- This industry has committed to international agreements on humane trapping methods that protects animal welfare. These programs protect animal welfare in practical ways, when animals are taken for fur or food.
- The agreement on International Humane trapping standards was agreed upon between Russia, Europe and Canada. (Source: Fur.ca). This agreement establishes the required standards for approval and certification of animal trapping. This treaty is a dynamic one in the sense that it provides for continued improvement of animal welfare as related to trapping.
There you have some basic information on how the fur trade is a sustainable resource and has international agreements in place to govern this industry.
4:02 pm on Thursday, January 8th, 2015
Fur is a luxurious and very practical fabric to wear in winter and keeps you looking fashionable. Also, the industry is growing in popularity and yearly in terms of revenue. However, despite these industry trends, there continues to be some myths about this industry. We will highlight some of the more common fur myths and some facts that counter them.
- Myth 1: The fur trade is un-regulated.
The fur trade is tightly regulated by state, national and international governing bodies. These regulations cover everything from animal welfare to environmental impact.
- Myth 2: Fake fur is more sustainable.
Fake furs come from non-renewable sources due to being made with petroleum based products. Natural fur comes from renewable sources and has a 20 – 30 year life span.
- Myth 3: Fur is a vanity product bought by the wealthy.
Recent surveys say the number one reason people bought fur was for the incredible warmth. It provides exceptional heat retention and looks beautiful. While the up front cost can be higher, it will tend to last longer than synthetic fibers making it a good investment. Also, fur is available in many accessories that can keep your warm. There are fur trim parkas, scarves and headbands that can be affordable for anyone.
So there you have a few common myths about this industry that have been exposed by some facts. This trade is an ethical & responsible industry based on the sustainable use of natural resources. Enjoy your fur and feel good about your purchase so that you can tackle winter with this amazing natural fiber.
7:04 pm on Tuesday, December 30th, 2014
Fur makes for a great investment because it is a very durable and practical clothing item. However, there are some things to keep in mind when caring for your fur, in order to keep it in top condition. So here is a list of some general advice that can keep it looking great for a long time.
- Store your garments in cold storage when your done wearing them for the season. The more time they spend in cold storage, the longer the garment will last.
- Do not store your fur in cedar closets. Cedar wood absorbs moisture which will dry out your garment.
- Never hang your fur in a garment bag, especially a plastic bag that does not breathe. The fur needs air circulation to prevent the hide from drying out and cracking.
- Have your fur coats professionally cleaned once a year as this will add luster and shine and keep them looking great. This cleaning is needed to remove dust and other pollutants that can have an abrasive effect on the hairs of the fur.
- Do not store your fur with moth balls as they can damage your coats.
- Avoid using hairsprays or perfumes when wearing your clothes. Most of these items have alcohol which can dry out the hides.
When you care for your fur, it will provide you with years of warmth and comfort. So go ahead this winter and enjoy the timeless elegance that comes with real fur.
4:35 pm on Tuesday, December 23rd, 2014
Fur has become very trendy along with the practical benefit of keeping you warm. However, there are many other interesting facts about this industry that are lesser known but very interesting. This post will explore some interesting facts about this industry.
- Did you you know that more than one million people are employed full time in the fur industry worldwide and many more work on a seasonal basis.
- The biggest exporter of fur is Europe and the biggest importer is China. Demand for buying fur is also very strong in North America, Europe and Russia.
- There are more designers working with fur today than in the eighties. In 1985 there were only 42 designers compared to today, with over 400 renowned designers using fur in their fashion collections.
- 85% of American fur retailers are independently run small businesses.
- In 2013 U.S. sales were 1.39 billion, which is 10% higher than 2012.
- Mink remains one of the most popular furs. It represents about 70% of all retail sales.
- This industry contributes about $800 million to the Canadian economy, with about 70,000 people involved in this trade.
- More and more celebrities and models are wearing fur coats than in previous years. A few famous names are: Beyonce Knowles, Madonna and Jennifer Lopez.
- Warmth was the number one reason given by consumers when asked why they owned a fur coat.
This industry is growing in sales and becoming very trendy. Now you know that real fur not only looks amazing but provides some very practical benefits of warmth,durability and it helps to support the economy.
10:10 pm on Wednesday, December 17th, 2014
Real fur is timeless and always in fashion. Fur comes in many different accessories that can help to spruce up your winter wardrobe. Winter can be challenging to dress warm and stay stylish at the same time. The answer is to have some fur accessories that can be added to your outfit to make it look amazing. Here are some ideas on some fashionable fur items.
- Wear a stole with your outfit. Stoles are wider and bigger than scarves and add lots of warmth and style.
- Shawls make great additions to your wardrobe as they can be worn over a shirt for those cooler days, and will leave you looking stunning.
- Add some timeless elegance to your wardrobe with a fur cape. Capes are perfect for formal events, such as weddings, as they look elegant and have the added benefit of providing warmth.
- Spruce up any pair of boots with some fur leg warmers. They are very fashionable and provide extra warmth for your legs.
- Keep your hair looking gorgeous with some fur earmuffs. They provide exceptional warmth and allow you to face the cold with confidence and style.
- Fur hats are a great clothing accessory that adds style and warmth to any outfit you are wearing.
- Your feet will look stylish and keep very warm with a pair of fur mukluks. These boots are very fashionable and will complete your winter outfit.
So now you have some fur fashion ideas that will help you deal with the winter cold and look fashionable at the same time.
4:19 pm on Thursday, December 11th, 2014
Real fur is a very durable, natural product that combines practical function with fashion. Winter is all about trying to stay warm, which can be difficult. Trying to stay warm and stylish at the same time can be another challenge. Fur can solve these winter challenges since fur combines style and function. Real fur has many great benefits, so we will list some of them here.
- Real fur offers tremendous levels of warmth due to its superior heat retention ability. Natural fur will help to keep heat from leaving your body. Also, real fur is much better at insulating your body than fake fur.
- When you get genuine fur, you benefit from its great wind blocking ability. This can drastically reduce wind chill leaving you feeling much warmer.
- Real fur trims are used on winter coats to trap warm air coming off your body and protect your neck and face against incoming cold air. Natural furs do this much better than synthetic furs.
- When you buy real fur items, its a great investment because of the durability of fur. They can last decades, giving you years of warmth and comfort.
- Finally, fur is very trendy and fashionable making for a very welcome and practical addition to any wardrobe.
Winter might be cold and uncomfortable, but various fur accessories can keep you warm and toasty all winter. Never fear the polar vortex again, when you wear real fur.
3:04 pm on Thursday, December 4th, 2014
There are many hats to keep your head warm on a cold winter’s day, but many leave your ears exposed to the cold. A great solution to this cold ear dilemma are trapper hats. These hats have ear flaps that can be deployed to cover your ears and keep them very warm and toasty in winter. Get to know more about these amazing hats with some of these benefits.
- Trapper Hats keep both your head and ears warm, which eliminates the need for both a hat and earmuffs. This saves you from having to bring a hat and ear muffs everywhere you go.
- These hats often come with a metal buckle to help keep the hat in place on those windy days.
- They are often made with a water resistant exterior, keeping your head dry.
- The ear flaps can be buttoned up or down, depending on how cold it is, making them a very versatile and practical hat.
- Most trapper hats are size adjustable so you do not have to worry about finding one that fits your head properly. This will give you the perfect fit, to keep your head and ears warm.
- These hats also have the added benefit of having you look very stylish, while keeping winter’s chill at bay.
So now you know the secret to keeping your head and ears warm and cozy all winter long. Go ahead and tackle winter with these fashionable and trendy hats.
4:19 pm on Thursday, November 27th, 2014
Keeping your feet warm and preventing frostbite during winter is a top priority. Mukluk winter boots offer the perfect solution to keep your feet comfortable and toasty on even the coldest winter days. They are tough, versatile and trendy boots that are a necessity for the winter. These boots combine style and function to protect your feet and keep you looking very fashionable. Mukluks were originally made by the Inuit to keep their feet warm during their cold winters, but now have become very popular winter accessories. Here is a list of some of the amazing benefits of mukluks.
- One key benefit of the Mukluk is their ability to breath, this is because they are made of natural insulating materials. This is important because it allows your feet to breath and will wick away sweat. This is a crucial factor in cold weather where excess perspiration may be an issue and could cause frostbite.
- These boots are made with natural fibers that will provide tremendous levels of warmth and comfort.
- Mukluks are made of light weight, flexible materials, which allows you to bend your feet with ease, increasing the circulation of warm blood to your feet. This constant flexing of your feet will increase your warmth and helps to prevent frostbite.
Now you know why mukluks are your best option for keeping your feet warm and stylish all winter. Winter may be cold, but your feet do not have to be when you wear mukluks.
4:02 pm on Thursday, November 20th, 2014
Winter is cold and its always a challenge to keep warm, but we have some ideas that will keep you cozy and warm this winter. The first thing people will think of is to get a good winter coat, but there are other needed accessories to keep you warm. We have put together a list of other important fur accessories that will help to keep you warm and cozy.
- The real fur hat is the best option to keep your head warm, because of its incredible heat retention ability. An uncovered head will allow a lot of heat to escape, so its important to keep your head covered with a good hat.
- Scarves are a needed accessory to help protect against the wind coming down your neck and to protect your face from the cold.
- Real fur gloves offer incredible warmth and comfort, that will protect your hands from the bitter cold.
- You need to keep your feet warm and cozy with real fur boots, which offer incredible cold weather resistance.
- Leg warmers will help to keep your lower legs warmer, with the added benefit of being a very stylish addition to your outfit.
There you have it, now you have some tips on how to enjoy winter and stay warm. So get out and tackle winter head on with these fur accessories and be prepared in case the polar vortex makes another visit.